Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Peoria Firecracker 5000 Recap

 
We took our typical trip down to Peoria for the 4th of July this year. I asked my good friend Katy if there were any races on the 4th or that weekend. She mentioned I should try the Firecracker 5000 on the riverfront. We headed down the night of the 3rd so I could get up early and do the 5k. I was able to sign up the day before and get my packet that morning.
 

 
First one up, heading out to the race.
 
I got to the race about 40 min before so I could get my packet and find Katy. The race was very well organized and was about 1,000 participants in size. After I found Katy, we took a quick picture before heading to the start.

Love this pic!


Starting line selfie
 We got to the starting line and after the National Anthem, hit the ground running. Katy is much faster than me so I only stayed with her for about .10 miles. I realized right away I was going way fast. In fact my first mile was my fastest ever, 9:53! I never knew a sub 10 mm was possible for me! The rest of the race went pretty normal. I did not carry water so I needed to rely on the water stops. I also felt like I was going to puke at the end, but had my fastest 5k at 33:12! I was so happy!
 
Afterward we got the traditional post race beer and then I headed to find the nearest Dunkin Donuts for a post race treat. I liked the race a lot, it was reasonable priced and well organized. I will do this one again next year if given t
he chance.


No comments:

Post a Comment