Sunday, August 18, 2013

Rally for Autism 5k Race Recap

Great tech shirt
 
Saturday I ran the Rally for Autism 5k at Independence Grove in Libertyville. I heard about the race through work where a few of my managers were encouraging co workers to race or volunteer. Thursday I went and picked up my packet outside of the Runners Edge in Libertyville. Pick up was easy and the people were so nice. I got the great shirt above (so glad it was not white! It's navy) and an Autism canvas bag full of materials.
 
Saturday I only had to get up at 7am, thankfully, because I only live 15 minutes away. I was a little worried because my knee was bothering me from Wednesdays treadmill run, but it felt great at the race! Parking was great and they had police directing people inside the park, very convenient. As soon as I parked I went through my pre race routine: apply body glide to legs, take chomps, drink lots of water, pin bib, take pre race photo, and lock up my stuff.
Ready to run!

Got my bib ready.

Beautiful day and gorgeous park

Near visitors center
Yes nice porta potties in the shot
 
The event had lots to do! There were games and a bounce house for kids, local vendors were there giving things away, and there was plenty of food. We lined up for the run at 8:55 and it started promptly at 9am. I found a lady with a similar pace to me and followed her pretty much the entire run expect for the end when I got my burst of speed and sprinted past her. The course was very nice, lots of people directing the way and cheering you on. There were 2 water stations on the course and lots of water at the end. It was warm out but since the course is not shaded it got pretty hot. I finished in 34:36 which bet my race PR by 2 minutes! I could not believe it. After the race was over they had the times printed out with in a few minutes, which was really nice. I also ran into a few more of my co workers and chatted with them for a bit. One of the coolest sponsors was our local grocery store Marianos, they gave out a pedometer and I got a box of Chex.
 
This race was for such a good cause, it was nice to see all the families and the kids out there walking/running provide support. Everything was so well organized and laid out, I was so impressed. I highly recommend this race and will be participating in it again next year.
Added another bib to the wall, total is 4 now and counting!
 
 
What local runs were you highly impressed with? Are there any specific causes you like to run for?
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment