Saturday, April 27, 2013

Adventures at the Rollins Savannah


I have been wanting to check out Rollins Savannah for a few weeks now. I asked Bridget this week if she was busy on Friday and wanted to go for a walk around the Savannah. The weather was perfect to go exploring, the sky was beautiful and it was nice and warm. Of course it was incredibly windy but the Savannah is pretty flat with minimal trees so I guess that is expected. We met at 4:15, I fired up my Garmin and she turned on the Endomondo app. The main trail is a nice circle path about 3.6 miles long. We just walked it and only stopped once the enjoy the scenery. Thankfully the trails were not flooded, with all the rain we have had.

 
They have really cool binoculars there so you can observe the wildlife. We did see two deer and a bunch of geese. The trails might not have been paved but they had pretty tight gravel on them. I did keep getting rocks in my shoe but I think that won't happen with my Brooks.

It looks us a little over and hour to walk the 3 1/2 miles, which is not bad since it was going to be my rest day. Next week I am hoping to go there with a co worker and run. I'm looking forward to exploring some of the other Lake County forest preserves.
 
Where do you like to go to be one with nature?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment